Types of Smoke and Smoke Remediation
In the restoration business, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian gets called to building fires on a regular basis. Did you know that smoke damage is treated differently? There are 4 main types that we treat:
- Wet Smoke. (Plastic and Rubber) Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, and smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke. (Paper and Wood) Fast-burning, high temperatures; heat rises; therefore, smoke rises.
- Protein Fire Residue. (Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire) Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
- Fuel Oil Soot. (Furnace puff backs) While “puff backs” can create havoc for homeowners, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park can, in most cases, restore the contents and structure quickly.
- Other Types. (Tear gas, fingerprint powder, and fire extinguisher residue) Special loss situations require special care.
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian technicians are IICRC trained to handle even the toughest of losses. The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process, but trust professionals to make it “Like it never even happened.”