Tips for Before & After a Flood
Did you know that Edgewater is susceptible to flood damage? If you have lived in Edgewater for quite some time, you are probably well aware of this. Flood prone zones can cause severe damage to homes and businesses in the area. Whether the flood comes from a flash flood, natural flood, major river or tropical storm, the damage can be extensive. To stay safe from flood hazards, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian has some tips for you to follow before and after a flood occurs.
Before a flood
- Make sure your insurance policy covers flooding. Even renters are eligible for flood insurance.
- Move furniture and valuables to higher floors as floodwater rises.
- Keep the car gas tank filled in case you need to evacuate.
- Stay informed about weather conditions, flash flooding can occur in only minutes!
- Do not drive through flooded roadways. The road may not be there. Follow the instructions given by emergency officials. If told to evacuate, do so!
After a flood
- Do not eat or drink anything that encounters flood water.
- Follow emergency officials' instructions on safe water consumption. You may have to boil your water.
- Clean and have electrical equipment checked before using.
- Report broken utilities to the proper authorities.
- Use flashlights, not an open flame like a candle. Candles are a fire hazard and could cause an explosion if they encounter flammable gases.
- Watch out for snakes and other "stray" animals. Water will cause snakes to come out of the ground with nowhere to go. Many other animals may be abandoned and lost.
- Remember, floodwaters sometimes take days to rise, even when the sun is shining. It can take days for floodwaters to make their way downstream. Do not underestimate the power and speed at which flood water can rise and destroy everything in its path.
If your home or business is affected by flooding or water damage, call our experts here at SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian and we’ll make it “Like it never even happened.”